Wednesday, September 8, 2010

One day down, about 40 years to go.


Today was my first day as a real teacher with students. Although no instruction happened, it still counted as my first-first day. And I think it went pretty well! My day started at 6:15 when my alarm sounded, even though I'd woken up many times throughout the night thinking that I had overslept my alarm and would be late! I got to school (venit espresso beverage in hand) at a little before 8 am and did a few things before the school day began. The freshmen arrived at 9am to a class meeting and then I took my advisory down to my classroom. What was once assumed to be an all girl advisory turned out to be 5 girls and 5 boys. They were a bit awkward and quiet, but I guess that's expected for their first day of highschool. We did the boring administrative tasks of passing out metrocards and going on a tour of the building's facilities. Then it was off to a math test for them! I proctored an exam for a bit and that was the end of my official responsibilities for the day.

While I was with my advisory, the 10th graders arrived at school at 10 am for their class meeting before heading to their own math assessments. The principals constructed a small presentation that included pictures and names of new faculty. I was not at the meeting, but was told by 6 different teachers that the sophomores cheered loudly when they were told that they were no longer freshmen and cheered even louder when my picture was shown in the slide show. It is definitely nice to feel welcomed and missed by the students I had last year as a student teacher. Hopefully the new freshmen will like me as well!

The entire experience was a bit surreal, as I think many of these first weeks will be. I can't believe I'm really here- being a teacher- and in New York City no less. I thought back to some of my earlier 'first days' when my mom would take a picture of my sister and me in the morning on each first day of school. Some pictures are really cute- while the ones when we are in high school are of us being annoyed and just wanting to go!

Due to the Jewish holidays our school year started with a very strange schedule. After just one day we now have a four day weekend! A bit odd, but okay with me. I'm going home! Back to Ohio for the first time in 9 months. I have a very busy 3 days ahead of me- many many friends including my best friend- shannon- who i don't plan on spending a minute without! I can't wait to spend time with my family! I miss my (not so) little brother! I'm also getting my hair professionally done for the first time since January of 2009. And the best part of all- I'm going to The Ohio State University football game! And spending a night at Kenyon! I honestly don't know what more I could ask to do in a trip home! I'm sure it will be exhausting and amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment